Friday, April 17, 2009

boys

Being a mom is hard.
When you think about it...it is the combination of so many different jobs.
I would list all of the chores and jobs and responsibilities of motherhood...
but ladies...
We all already know how difficult and exhausting and rewarding it can be.
We already know that we wear so many different hats in one day alone.
Since I became a mom almost 12 years ago...(wow...12 years!)
I have wanted to apologize to my own mother for the times when I was nothing but a stinker.
sorry mother
I think my mom did a pretty good job with me.
I'm a nice girl...
a good homemaker and decent cook in the kitchen.
I help my neighbors and volunteer at my children's school.
I'm fun and easy going...I like to be creative and send my children back to school with some of the best projects that you will ever have seen.
My mom did a great job...
preparing me...
for motherhood.
She sent me off into the world with homemade lessons from the kitchen, tips on being a lady and
taught me all she knew about this world we live in and how to navigate through it.
I learned what was most important in this life.
So...one day...I found someone and left my mother's home and started my own.
Then...one by one...I made these 3...
Mikey
Morgan
and
Landon

I love my job as mom to these guys...they really are great.
They aren't perfect...not even close.
But they are great.
In developing my own mothering skills...
I have always said that my job with my boys is to keep them soft.
Many friends have heard me say this.
Over and over.
I want boys who aren't afraid to show emotion and care for others around them.
I want them to hug.
I want them to love.
I want them to feel okay abut crying when their hearts are that sad.
I want them to be able to empathize with others.
I think that we always give girls the okay to be emotional.
It's what's expected of us sometimes.
Last night at the School Spring carnival...
baskets were raffled off to generate money for our school's teachers.
Mikey had his heart set on the 3rd grade basket.
Valued at $850.
and
It was the basket that Mr C and I were put in charge of and put together for the carnival.
Mikey didn't win it.
My sister did!
He was so upset and fighting back tears.
The tears won and Mikey let it all out.
Right there at the school.
He sobbed until sobbing turned to a mini breakdown.
That led to hyperventilating and Mr C asking (in a very impatient boys don't cry over losing a carnival basket kind of way)
"Dude, why are you crying over this?"
It wasn't said out of concern or empathy...but because Mr C is a die-hard fan of being tough (or tuff...if you will).
Mr C doesn't think that boys should cry...about anything.
(His biggest flaw in my book)
Mr C just couldn't understand why Mikey was so upset about this.

As a mom...I get it.
I can understand that Mikey has had a hard 2 weeks that have included his dad moving out of state for work.
He was heart-broken at this news.
He has been emailing his dad almost every day and calling him at night to say that he misses him.
His emotions (which he has been programmed to keep inside because he is a boy) are pretty raw right now.
Not winning the basket was just the last straw.
He let it all out last night.
I have never felt so sad for this boy.
So...when I make it priority to keep my boys soft...
It is so that when they are men...they are sensitive and loving and not afraid to feel what's inside.
I hope that their future wives appreciate this someday and I will not hesitate to step up and take credit for emotionally in tune men.
Really...what's the point of keeping it all bottled up.





5 comments:

JECKBECK (Erin) said...

I love this story. I have a husband who is NOT a crier and a son who surely is. I am OK with that(my son being a crier, not my husband being an emotional zombie- I wish he would let the tears flow every now and again).
I too will take credit...I am the best crier out there.

littlebyrd said...

Such a beautiful family!! You sounds like a fabulous mama too :)

Kasey said...

your kiddo's are the cutest ever!
lovely post cutie.
xo

tara said...

Girl, this was a great post, so sensative and positive. I agree with you, my hubby is tuff, big and strong, but he cries at commercials, and movies and I tease him but I do love that side of him, and I want my son to feel the same way. To express his emotions and be able to deal with them too! Thanks for sharing and you and your family are just gorgeous~ Oh, and yes their wives will appreciate this quality, they will!

mimi charmante said...

My dear, you don't look nearly old enough to have these children... What gorgeous little ones you are blessed with. I am so happy that you left a comment so that I could find you!
xo